Title: Why Resurrection?
Text: 1 Cor. 15:12-22
[1Co 15:12] Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead?
[1Co 15:13] But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen:
[1Co 15:14] And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain.
[1Co 15:15] Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not.
[1Co 15:16] For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised:
[1Co 15:17] And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins.
[1Co 15:18] Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished.
[1Co 15:19] If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.
[1Co 15:20] But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
[1Co 15:21] For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
[1Co 15:22] For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
- What happened?
- Jesus came back to life from the dead – Matt. 28:1-6
- [Mat 28:1] In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
- [Mat 28:2] And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.
- [Mat 28:3] His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow:
- [Mat 28:4] And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men.
- [Mat 28:5] And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.
- [Mat 28:6] He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.
- He that was dead is now alive again.
- Resurrect means the restoration of a dead person to life
- If Christ did not rise from the dead: (1 Cor. 15:12-22)
- Our preaching is in vain
- Our faith is in vain
- We become false witnesses of God – Matt. 28:18-20
- [Mat 28:18] And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
- [Mat 28:19] Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
- [Mat 28:20] Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
- Christ is not risen
- We are still in our sins
- Those asleep in Christ are perished
- There is no mansion He is preparing
- God is powerless – Eph. 1:19
- [Eph 1:19] And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power,
- We will not make heaven
- The resurrection of Jesus Christ is the pillar that holds Christianity together. It proves that our God is alive and not dead.
- Christ did die on the cross and has resurrected, and he was seen by over 500 people – 1 Cor. 15:3-6
- [1Co 15:3] For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
- [1Co 15:4] And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
- [1Co 15:5] And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
- [1Co 15:6] After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
- Since Christ did die and resurrected, through resurrection:
- Our preaching is not in vain, so keep preaching
- Our faith is not in vain, so keep having faith in God
- We are true witnesses of God, so continue to witness
- Our sins have been washed away, praise God
- Those asleep in Christ will rise with Christ
- Jesus is preparing a place for us
- We shall make heaven
- Our God is a powerful God – Eph. 1:19
- We have power over death
- We have every reason to rejoice because our Redeemer lives
- The death on the cross looked like defeat
- The resurrection revealed our victory
- Congratulations and Happy Resurrection Sunday