To play the media you will need to either update your browser to a recent version or update your Flash plugin
Posted on 22 Mar 2015, Pastor: Tolu Makinde
The Fear of God
Text: Deut. 5:28-29
- Deut. 5:28-29
- Moses was reminding the children of Israel of what they went through after leaving Egypt
- How God spoke to them in the midst of fire, cloud, and thick darkness in mount Horeb
- How they told Moses to go and speak to God, and whatever God says, they will do
- God then told Moses how He wish they would fear Him and keep His commandments always
- Fear has always carried a negative connotation, that every time the word is mentioned, we think of it as a negative word
- However, the word is not the problem, it is the feeling associated with the word
- When fear sets in:
- One cannot think straight and clearly
- Some people will begin to shake
- Some would cry
- Some would freeze
- Some would shut their eyes wishing the fear would go away
- However, there are two different kind of fear
- Good kind of fear – the fear of God – Reverential Fear
- Bad kind of fear – the fear that is not from God – Tormenting Fear
- Our focus today is on the good kind of fear – the Reverential Fear of God
- This kind of fear is the one every child of God should have
- The fear of God is for our benefit – Deut 5:29 says “that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!”
- So, having the fear of God is for your benefit
Fear vs Love
- If you observe children, you can easily tell the ones that fear their parents
- Fact is, they all love their parents – but not all of them fear their parents
- The ones that do not fear their parents may go wayward – as they believe they are free to do whatsoever they please
- This is also true for believers – if we fear God, we cannot do whatsoever we please
- It is very easy to notice the people that love God – the love of God is in their heart
- However, to fear God is something different
- Deu 10:12 And now, Israel, what doth the LORD thy God require of thee, but to fear the LORD thy God, to walk in all his ways, and to love him, and to serve the LORD thy God with all thy heart and with all thy soul,
- God requires us to fear Him before loving Him
- To obey Him before loving Him
- The fear of God comes out of the thought of the punishment that God can dish out
- The love of God comes out of the thought of the blessings that God can provide
- Since all we hear is about the blessings of God – we only know to love God
- What about the punishments or judgment of God?
- In Deut. 28 – there are 68 verses. 14 verses are for blessings, but 54 are for curses/punishments for disobeying God
- There 4 times the amount of curses than there are blessings
- We mostly hear messages on the blessings and nothing on the curses
- America loves God, but does not fear God – that makes me wonder what will become of this nation tomorrow
Why Fear God?
- The beginning of wisdom
- Pro 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.
- Pro 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
- Pro 3:7 Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil.
- The fear of the Lord produces wisdom
- The fear of the Lord produces knowledge
- The fear of the Lord causes one to depart from evil
- The fear of God always lead to a blessing
- Pro 10:27 The fear of the LORD prolongeth days: but the years of the wicked shall be shortened.
- Pro 14:26 In the fear of the LORD is strong confidence: and his children shall have a place of refuge. Pro 14:27 The fear of the LORD is a fountain of life, to depart from the snares of death.
- 2Co 7:1 Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.
- Your walk with the Lord is perfected in the fear of God.
- Gen 42:18 And Joseph said unto them the third day, This do, and live; for I fear God:
- Joseph feared God, as a result
- He was wise
- He did not compromise by sleeping with Potiphar’s wife
- At the end, he was blessed beyond anyone’s imagination
- The difference between a winner and a loser is the fear of God
- If you want to be a winner – fear God
- The lack of the fear of God always lead to a disaster
- Absence of the fear of God is foolishness – Prov 9:10, 1:7
- Rom 3:16 Destruction and misery are in their ways: Rom 3:17 And the way of peace have they not known: Rom 3:18 There is no fear of God before their eyes.
- Korah, Dathan, Abiram – Num 16
- The ground opened up and swallowed them
- Fire came out and consumed 250 men offering incense
- Deu 28:58-62 If thou wilt not observe to do all the words of this law that are written in this book, that thou mayest fear this glorious and fearful name, THE LORD THY GOD; Deu 28:59 Then the LORD will make thy plagues wonderful, and the plagues of thy seed, even great plagues, and of long continuance, and sore sicknesses, and of long continuance. Deu 28:60 Moreover he will bring upon thee all the diseases of Egypt, which thou wast afraid of; and they shall cleave unto thee. Deu 28:61 Also every sickness, and every plague, which is not written in the book of this law, them will the LORD bring upon thee, until thou be destroyed. Deu 28:62 And ye shall be left few in number, whereas ye were as the stars of heaven for multitude; because thou wouldest not obey the voice of the LORD thy God.
- It is the lack of the fear of God that is making the Christian race to compromise
- In the church of God, same sex marriages are taking place
- In the church of God, we have bishops that are openly gay, church leaders that are gay
- In the church of God, people still fornicate, co-habit and believe it is ok
- Luk 12:5 But I will forewarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him.
- God is the only One with the power to cast into hell – Let us fear Him
- The fear of God is different from the love of God
- The fear of God produces wisdom and knowledge, and will cause you to depart from evil
- The fear of God will always lead you into His blessings
- So, let us fear God