Title: Don’t Be Afraid
Text: 2Ti 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
- Apostle Paul wrote to Timothy to stir up the gift of God which is in him.
- For God has not given us the spirit of fear
- But of power and of love and of a sound mind
- The gift of God in us is of power, love, and sound mind, and NOT FEAR.
- If fear is not from God, then it must come from somewhere else – The devil
What is Fear
- Fear is a spirit – 2 Tim 1:7, but not Holy Spirit
- To be afraid or frightened of something or a situation
- To be uneasy or apprehensive
- To be in awe or revere
- Fear is a feeling, a state of mind by which one cannot function in the way one was created.
- Fear can be controlled.
- F.E.A.R => False Evidence Appearing Real
Where did fear come from?
- There are 12 strong men mentioned in the Bible and fear came from one of them
- Rom 8:15 For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
- Fear comes from the strong man called the spirit of bondage
- It is also responsible for bitterness, addiction, and spiritual blindness
- You may need to bind the strong man to overcome the fear
What is the purpose of fear
The purpose of fear – the two types of fear
- Oppressive or Satanic Fear (from the spirit of bondage)
- To keep one in bondage (whatever one fears will continue to oppress the person)
- To prevent one from reaching their purpose and fulfilling their God given destiny (Children of Israel)
- To make one a slave of the situation when meant to be the master
- To make one a doubter – even to doubt God
- To make one a runner – who flee situations one should face
- To make one a coward
- To make one a loser in life – you don’t win out of fear.
- Godly Fear (from the Holy Spirit)
- To make one reverence God at all times
- To make one run away from sin or prevent one from sinning (Joseph and Potiphar’s wife)
Examples of Fear
- Numbers 13 – The children of Israel refused to enter the promised land out of fear of the giants in the land.
- 1 Samuel 17:45-47
- The children of Israel could not approach Goliath out of fear
- David did not approach Goliath with fear
- He approached him with boldness
- The Life of Peter
- Fear of God
- Act 9:31 Then had the churches rest throughout all Judaea and Galilee and Samaria, and were edified; and walking in the fear of the Lord, and in the comfort of the Holy Ghost, were multiplied.
- [Psa 23:4] Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
- Psa 27:3 Though an host should encamp against me, my heart shall not fear: though war should rise against me, in this will I be confident.
- Psa 118:6 The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?
- Pro 1:7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
- Pro 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.
- Pro 19:23 The fear of the LORD tendeth to life: and he that hath it shall abide satisfied; he shall not be visited with evil.
- Mat 10:28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
- Fear is a spirit that did not come from God
- You can conquer fear with the help of the Holy Spirit
- If you do not conquer that fear, it will continue to oppress and dominate you
- Understand that God has given you the Spirit of power, love and sound mind
- The end result of the fear will not come to pass, but you must face that fear
- You cannot fulfill your God given destiny if you allow fear to oppress you