Driving Out The Inhabitants
Text: Num 33:50-56
- The Lord gave the children of Israel the mandate to drive out the inhabitants of the promised land.
- Since everything that happened to the children of Israel is an example and a lesson to the Christian race, this teaching is about how we are to drive out the inhabitants as well.
The Children of Israel
1. When you pass over Jordan into Canaan
- Drive out all the inhabitants
- Destroy their pictures – their memories
- Destroy all their molten images – false gods
- Pluck down all their high places – altars and place of worship of false gods
- Dispossess the inhabitants of the land – Ps. 24:1
- Dwell in the land
2. If you will not drive out the inhabitants, those that remain shall be
- Pricks in your eyes – (like a pin piercing the eyes)
- Thorns on your side
- Vex you in the land – (annoyed, frustrated, irritated, etc.)
- I shall do unto you, as I thought to do unto them
3. The children of Israel did not follow God’s instructions
- Judges 2:1-3, 11-15
- They did not drive out the inhabitants from the land
- They began to serve their gods
- They forsook the LORD God – followed after other gods (Baal and Ashtaroth)
- The Lord delivered them into the hands of spoilers
- He sold them into the hands of their enemies.
2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
Rom 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
Col 3:5 Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry: Col 3:6 For which things’ sake the wrath of God cometh on the children of disobedience: Col 3:7 In the which ye also walked some time, when ye lived in them. Col 3:8 But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. Col 3:9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds;
1. When you become born again
- Drive out the old man – the person that you used to be
- Destroy the memories of the old man – habits and lifestyle
- Destroy the gods you served and their altars in your life
- Dispossess the previous inhabitants of your heart
- Let the Holy Spirit dwell with the new man
2. If you will not drive out the man
- They will be pricks in your eyes
- Thorns on your side
- Vex your walk with the Lord – annoyed, frustrated, and irritated Christian
- Eventually, land one in hell
- Ananias and Saphira – Acts 5
- Act 5:1 But a certain man named Ananias, with Sapphira his wife, sold a possession, Act 5:2 And kept back part of the price, his wife also being privy to it, and brought a certain part, and laid it at the apostles’ feet. Act 5:3 But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land?
- Judas Iscariot
- Mar 14:10 And Judas Iscariot, one of the twelve, went unto the chief priests, to betray him unto them. Mar 14:11 And when they heard it, they were glad, and promised to give him money. And he sought how he might conveniently betray him.
- Alexander the Coppersmith – 2 Tim 4:14
- 2Ti 4:14 Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil: the Lord reward him according to his works:
- Demas – 2 Tim 4:10
- 2Ti 4:10 For Demas hath forsaken me, having loved this present world, and is departed unto Thessalonica; Crescens to Galatia, Titus unto Dalmatia.
- 1Jn 2:15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
How to drive out the inhabitants
1. The old you has to go – the person you used to be before you met with Jesus
2. Do not dwell on the old memories – it will be like the children of Israel seeking to go back to Egypt because of meat and onion
- Php 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
3. Nothing should take the role of God in your life. Ask yourself, what can I not live without?
4. Put God at the center of your life –
- Everything revolves around God – Your marriage, job, family, business, money, possessions, etc.
- Study the Word of God – daily
- Pray – daily
- Allow the Holy Spirit to guide you