Title: Jesus: That Wonderful Name
Text: Is. 7:14, Is. 9:6-7
[Isa 7:14] Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
[Isa 9:6] For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
[Isa 9:7] Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.
- The name Jesus is a personal name given unto our Savior
- The title “Christ” (Christos in Greek) means the anointed one or the Messiah
- Messiah means the anointed one by God and empowered by God’s Spirit to deliver His people and establish God’s Kingdom.
- We are going to look at 6 functions of the name of Jesus Christ
- Since you can’t separate a person from his name, these are functions of the Messiah
1. Jesus Christ, the Savior
- [Mat 1:21] And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
- [Act 4:12] Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
2. Jesus Christ, the name above all names
- [Php 2:9] Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
- [Php 2:10] That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
- [Php 2:11] And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ isLord, to the glory of God the Father.
3. Jesus Christ, the deliverer and healer
- [Mat 8:16] When the even was come, they brought unto him many that were possessed with devils: and he cast out the spirits with his word, and healed all that were sick:
- [Mat 8:17] That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, Himself took our infirmities, and bare our sicknesses.
- [Act 10:38] How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
- [1Jn 3:8] He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
4. Jesus Christ, the giver of authority
- [Mat 28:18] And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
- [Mat 28:19] Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
- [Mat 10:1] And when he had called unto him his twelve disciples, he gave them power against unclean spirits, to cast them out, and to heal all manner of sickness and all manner of disease.
- [Luk 10:17] And the seventy returned again with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.
- [Act 3:6] Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.
- [Act 3:7] And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength.
5. Jesus Christ, the miracle Worker
- John 2 – Jesus turned water into wine
- John 9 – Jesus gave eyes to the man that was born blind
- John 11 – Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead
- Luke 7:11-17 – Jesus raised the dead son of a widow
- Acts 3 – Jesus healed the lame man by the beautiful gate
- Luke 8:22-28 – Jesus calmed the storm
- Luke 17:11-19 – Jesus healed ten lepers
- John 5:1-9 – Jesus healed the man with infirmity of 38 years by the pool of Bethesda
- The list goes on and on….
6. Jesus Christ, the name by which we pray
- [Joh 14:13] And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
- [Joh 14:14] If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.
- [Joh 15:16] Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.
- As a result of the name of Jesus, you and I are standing today
- It is because of that name that we have victory over sin and flesh
- Without that name, we would have been consumed and be another victim of circumstances
- Please celebrate that name, celebrate my Lord and Savior, worship and exalt His Holy Name
- If it wasn’t for the name of Jesus Christ:
- I would not be saved, delivered, healed, blessed, favored, or alive
- What kind of life would you be living without Christ?
- If you don’t have Christ now, your life will be better with Christ. Give your life to Him and see how far He will take you.