Title: Powerful Words
Text: Ps. 19:14
[Psa 19:14] Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer.
- There is a proverb that says
- Be careful of your thoughts, for your thoughts become your words.
- Be careful of your words, for your words become your actions.
- Be careful of your actions, for your actions become your habits.
- Be careful of your habits, for your habits become your character.
- Be careful of your character, for your character becomes your destiny. — author unknown
- In the beginning, at the creation, God spoke, and everything was created.
- [Gen 1:3] Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light.
- [Gen 1:6] Then God said, “Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.”
[Gen 1:9] Then God said, “Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry landappear”; and it was so.
[Gen 1:11] Then God said, “Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb that yields seed, and the fruit tree that yields fruit according to its kind, whose seed is in itself, on the earth”; and it was so.
- [Gen 1:14] Then God said, “Let there be lights in the firmament of the heavens to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs and seasons, and for days and years;
- The Words spoken by God were powerful creative Words
- When God got to man, the Bible says:
- [Gen 1:26] Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, over all the earth and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”
- Man was created in the image and likeness of God, such that man could speak powerful creative words, just like God.
- As a result, God delegated the naming of animals to Adam
[Gen 2:19] Out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought themto Adam to see what he would call them. And whatever Adam called each living creature, that was its name.
- The likeness of God in which the words used are powerful is also in man
- So, your words are powerful and you must be careful how you use them
Your words reflect the intentions and thoughts of your heart
- [Luk 6:45] A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.
- If the thoughts in ones heart are good, the mouth will speak good words
- If the thoughts in ones heart are evil, the mouth will speak evil words
- In order for the words we speak to be pleasing to God, it starts in our hearts
- An un-regenerated heart will continue to speak evil words
- While a regenerated heart will speak good words
- The key is to have a regenerated heart – a heart that has been reborn – a heart that allows the Spirit of God to direct it.
Words can be used positively and negatively
- When used negatively, words can:
- Damage relationships and trusts
- Cause harm to self and to others
- Start wars
- Be curses
- Cause one to lose respect
- When used positively, words can:
- Build up lives
- Build trust and relationship
- Make peace
- Release blessing
- Make alive
- [Pro 15:1] A soft answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger.
[Pro 15:2] The tongue of the wise uses knowledge rightly, But the mouth of fools pours forth foolishness.
[Pro 15:4] A wholesome tongue is a tree of life, But perverseness in it breaks the spirit.
[Joh 6:63] It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.
The vast majority of our communication is through the mouth, as a result, the vast majority of sin is also through the mouth
The Tongue must be tamed – James 3:1-12
[Jas 3:1] My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment.
[Jas 3:2] For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he isa perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body.
[Jas 3:3] Indeed, we put bits in horses’ mouths that they may obey us, and we turn their whole body.
[Jas 3:4] Look also at ships: although they are so large and are driven by fierce winds, they are turned by a very small rudder wherever the pilot desires.
[Jas 3:5] Even so the tongue is a little member and boasts great things. See how great a forest a little fire kindles!
[Jas 3:6] And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity. The tongue is so set among our members that it defiles the whole body, and sets on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire by hell.
[Jas 3:7] For every kind of beast and bird, of reptile and creature of the sea, is tamed and has been tamed by mankind.
[Jas 3:8] But no man can tame the tongue. It is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
[Jas 3:9] With it we bless our God and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in the similitude of God.
[Jas 3:10] Out of the same mouth proceed blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be so.
[Jas 3:11] Does a spring send forth fresh water and bitter from the same opening?
[Jas 3:12] Can a fig tree, my brethren, bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Thus no spring yields both salt water and fresh.
Words are powerful
- Through words, the serpent deceived Eve into disobeying God and set man up for failure – Gen 3:1-5
- Through words, Ananias and Saphira lost their lives for lying to the Holy Spirit – Acts 5:1-10
- Through words, man have convinced other men to lay down their lives willingly, through suicide
- There was a case of a young lady that talked a young man into committing suicide
- There are cases of suicide bombers
- Through words, man could encourage other men to live a life of holiness that pleases God
- Through words, others can be encouraged
- [Act 20:2] Now when he had gone over that region andencouraged them with many words, he came to Greece
- Through words, lives can be turned around for good
- You gave your life to Christ because somebody preached to you by using words
- Several years ago, a young man testified that he heard one message that encouraged him to go back to school. He now holds a masters degree, and is married with a child.
- At my lowest point in ministry, the Word of God dug me out of the pit
- [Pro 18:21] Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those who love it will eat its fruit.
- [Ecc 5:2] Do not be rash with your mouth, And let not your heart utter anything hastily before God. For God is in heaven, and you on earth; Therefore let your words be few.
- [Pro 6:2] You are snared by the words of your mouth; You are taken by the words of your mouth.
- How would you use your words?
- Bless and never curse
- Encourage always, discourage never
- Be careful how you criticize. Some people are encouraged by criticism, while others are discouraged.
- Your words are creative
- Your words are powerful
- What are you creating with your words?