Text: Is. 7:14
Isa 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
- Isaiah began his ministry around 740 BC.
- The prophecy of a virgin conceiving and bearing a son took place over 700 years before Jesus was born.
- That is between 7 to 10 generations.
- Mat 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
- Now, let’s fast forward 740 years to Luke 1:26-38
In Luke 1, the prophecy of Isaiah from 740 years was fulfilled.
In the same Luke, Gabriel gave some prophecies about Jesus Christ.
The prophecies can be divided into 3 sections:
1. The birth of Jesus Christ
2. The life and mission of Jesus on earth
3. The post resurrection events of Jesus Christ.
The 7 Prophecies are:
1. Thou shalt conceive in thy womb and bring forth a Son.
2. Thou shalt call His name JESUS
3. He shall be great
4. He shall be called the Son of the Highest
5. The Lord shall give unto Him the throne of His father David
6. He shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever
7. Of His kingdom there shall be no end
The 7 Prophecies of Gabriel
Let us examine the prophecies of Gabriel, to fully understand the purpose of the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ.
1. Thou (virgin) shalt conceive in thy womb and bring forth a Son. – Fullfilled.
- The reason a virgin gave birth to Jesus are as follows:
- The seed of man has been corrupted by sin starting with Adam. – Rom 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
- The perfect seed of God was needed to redeem man from his sins
- Man could not save himself from sin because in sin we were born.
- So, a virgin was needed to carry the perfect seed of God to deliver man from his sins.
2. Thou shalt call His name JESUS – Fulfilled
- In Hebrew, the name is Yeshua – similar to the name Joshua
- The name means
- To deliver
- To save
- To rescue
3. He shall be great – Fulfilled
- Php 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
Php 2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
Php 2:11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
- Jesus is already great
- He saved His followers from the destruction of the enemy
- Everywhere He goes, miracles follow Him
- He lived only for 33 years and 2000 years later, His name is still the most widely known name in the whole world
- When you call on His name, even 2000 years after His death, He still answers
4. He shall be called the Son of the Highest – Fulfilled
5. The Lord shall give unto Him the throne of His father David – Yet to be fulfilled
- The throne of David is the throne over the children of God
- The Lord promised David that his seed will always sit on his throne – He said to Solomon:
- 1Ki 9:5 Then I will establish the throne of thy kingdom upon Israel for ever, as I promised to David thy father, saying, There shall not fail thee a man upon the throne of Israel.
- Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Isa 9:7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.
- Eze 34:23 And I will set up one shepherd over them, and he shall feed them, even my servant David; he shall feed them, and he shall be their shepherd. Eze 34:24 And I the LORD will be their God, and my servant David a prince among them; I the LORD have spoken it.
- Rev 21:22 And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it. Rev 21:23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.
- The throne of David is a throne over a kingdom that includes Jews and non-Jews. So, Jesus will rule over the world. This will happen during the millennium.
6. He shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever – Yet to be fulfilled
- Isa 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
- Hos 3:4 For the children of Israel shall abide many days without a king, and without a prince, and without a sacrifice, and without an image, and without an ephod, and without teraphim: Hos 3:5 Afterward shall the children of Israel return, and seek the LORD their God, and David their king; and shall fear the LORD and his goodness in the latter days.
- The house of Jacob are the children of Israel – the Jews
- Right now, the Jews are slowly accepting Jesus, but a time is coming when they will return and worship Jesus Christ
- As the house of Jacob returned to Joseph, so shall they return to Jesus
7. Of His kingdom there shall be no end – Yet to be fulfilled
- Rev 22:1 And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.
- Isa 9:7 Of the increase of his government and peace there shall be no end, upon the throne of David, and upon his kingdom, to order it, and to establish it with judgment and with justice from henceforth even for ever. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will perform this.
The last 3 prophecies are end time prophecies.
- The 740 year old prophecy of Isaiah about Jesus was fulfilled
- 4 of the 7 prophecies of Gabriel about Jesus has been fulfilled
- The remaining 3 must also be fulfilled
- In order for the death of Christ to not be in vain in our lives, we must be ready for the fulfillment of the remaining prophecies by:
- Accepting Jesus as the Lord and Savior of our lives
- Living our lives according to His dictates
- Obeying His commandments at all times
- If you are yet to accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior, you can do so today
- If you are still telling lies, stealing, committing adultery, you need to repent and return to Jesus