Title: The God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob
Text: Ex. 3:6
[Exo 3:6] Moreover he said, I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God.
- The name that you call a person usually denotes the ability or skill of the person.
- For example, when you have a toothache, you call on a dentist
- When your computer is acting funny, you call on a computer technician
- When you have car issues, you call on a mechanic
- When God calls Himself the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, we need to analyze what He meant by that.
- What is God saying about His abilities?
The God of Abraham
1. He is the God of purpose – Gen. 12:1-3
- [Gen 12:1] Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father’s house, unto a land that I will shew thee:
- [Gen 12:2] And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:
- [Gen 12:3] And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.
- Abraham was 75 years old when he left Haran with Lot.
- He did not walk into the purpose of God for his life until he was an old man
- God gave him a purpose
- Jer. 1:5 – [Jer 1:5] Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.
- God gave Jeremiah a purpose before he was born
- Ex. 3:10 – [Exo 3:10] Come now therefore, and I will send thee unto Pharaoh, that thou mayest bring forth my people the children of Israel out of Egypt.
- God gave Moses a purpose at the age of 80
- Your creator is the one that determines your purpose and when you are supposed to walk into it. No matter how old you are, you shall fulfill the purpose of God for your life in the name of Jesus Christ.
2. He is the God of Faith – Heb 11:8-9, Gen 15:6
- [Heb 11:8] By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.
- [Heb 11:9] By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:
- It is impossible to walk with God without faith
- Abraham believed God and left the life that he had for 75 years to go to a land that an invisible God will show him
- Despite their old age, Abram believed God when God said Sarai will have a child for him – [Gen 15:6] And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness.
- After having Isaac and God demanded him for a sacrifice, Abraham believed that God was able to raise Isaac from the dead
- Without believing God, one cannot walk with God
- Heb 11:1, 6 –
- [Heb 11:1] Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
- [Heb 11:6] But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
- Mark 11:22-24 –
- [Mar 11:22] And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God.
- [Mar 11:23] For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.
- [Mar 11:24] Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.
3. He is the God of Promise – Gen 12:1-3
- God made several promises to Abraham
- I will make thee a great nation, I will bless thee, I will make thy name great, Thou shalt be a blessing
- I will bless them that bless thee, and curse them that curseth thee
- In thee shall all the families of the earth be blessed
- His seed shall be innumerable
- Some of the promises were fulfilled during Abraham’s life, and some were fulfilled after he was gone
- But all the promises were fulfilled
- Because He is the God of promises, all His promises concerning you shall come to pass in Jesus name.
4. He is the God of Revelations – Gen. 18:17-18
- [Gen 18:17] And the LORD said, Shall I hide from Abraham that thing which I do;
- [Gen 18:18] Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?
- God could not hide what he was about to do from Abraham
- For the fact that He knew Abraham, he was His friend
- God is still revealing secrets and deep things, but only to His friends
- Move closer to God and be His friend – [Jas 4:8] Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse yourhands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
- You will hear what others could not hear
- You will see what others could not see
5. He is the God of Intercession – Gen 18:23-33
- In other words He is the prayer answering God
- After revealing what He was about to do to Sodom and Gomorah, God listened to Abraham’s intercession for the land and granted him all his requests.
- Abraham started with 50 righteous people, then 45, then 40, then 30, then 20, then 10, and he stopped.
- If he had continued to 1, God would have granted his request
- [Eze 22:30] And I sought for a man among them, that should make up the hedge, and stand in the gap before me for the land, that I should not destroy it: but I found none.
- 1 Tim. 2:1-3
- [1Ti 2:1] I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;
- [1Ti 2:2] For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty.
- [1Ti 2:3] For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;
- Keep interceding, God answers prayers.
- May your prayers be answered in the mighty name of Jesus
- The God of Abraham is:
- The God of Purpose
- The God of Faith
- The God of Promise
- The God of Revelation
- The God of Intercession