Text: 2 Pet. 3:2-10
2Pe 3:2 That ye may be mindful of the words which were spoken before by the holy prophets, and of the commandment of us the apostles of the Lord and Saviour:
2Pe 3:3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
2Pe 3:4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation.
2Pe 3:5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:
2Pe 3:6 Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished:
2Pe 3:7 But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.
2Pe 3:8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
2Pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
- In the last days, there shall come scoffers (mockers) – walking after their own lusts
- Saying (not asking), where is the promise of His coming?
- That since the beginning of creation, things continue as they were
- They willingly are ignorant of the fact that by the Word of God the heavens and the earth were created
- By the same Word of God, the world that existed then was destroyed by water
- By the same Word of God, the heavens and the earth have been reserved for fire, until the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly people.
- God is patient and merciful
- God is not willing for any soul to perish – He wants all souls to come to repentance
- Therefore, 1 day with the Lord is like 1000 years and 1000 years is like 1 day – Time is irrelevant with God.
- However, the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night
Past Promises Were Fulfilled
- He promised there will be rain and it rained – Gen 7:4
- He promised Abraham will be a father of nations and he became the father of nations – Gen 12:1-3
- He promised to deliver Israel and He delivered them – Gen 15:13-14
- He promised that a virgin will conceive and a virgin did conceive – Is. 7:14
- If any of the past promised did not come to pass, then we can call Him a liar, but all the previous promises have been fulfilled,
Unfulfilled Promises Shall Be Fulfilled
- If previous promises have been fulfilled 100%, unfilled promises will also be fulfilled.
- He promised that Jesus is coming back, and He will come back –
- Act 1:11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.
- 1Th 4:13-18 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. 1Th 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. 1Th 4:15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.
- Rev 1:5-8 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, Rev 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen. Rev 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen. Rev 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.
- Rev 22:12 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
When Shall He Come
- The actual time is unknown, but the season can be discerned
- Mar 13:28 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When her branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is near: Mar 13:29 So ye in like manner, when ye shall see these things come to pass, know that it is nigh, even at the doors.
- Even Jesus did not know when He was here on earth
- Don’t be deceived by anyone who claim that Jesus is coming at a particular time, it is a lie.
- Mat 24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
- Mar 13:32 But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father. Mar 13:33 Take ye heed, watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is.
- That day will come like a thief in the night – unexpectedly
- 2Pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
- 1Th 5:2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.
- What are we to do?
- 1Th 5:6 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. 1Th 5:7 For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night. 1Th 5:8 But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.
What is He coming to do
- Jesus is coming back twice
- The first time, His feet will not touch the earth – this is referred to as The Rapture
- 1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 1Th 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 1Th 4:18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
- Jesus is coming to save the saints from the tribulation that is coming
- 1Th 5:9 For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, 1Th 5:10 Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him.
- The second time, He is coming to rule on the earth for 1000 years – this is referred to as The Millenium
- Rev 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
- To prove to man that no matter what, some people will still reject Him
- Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior, is coming back.
- Either we accept the promise or reject the promise, He will fulfill His promise
- If the promises of old were fulfilled, this promise shall surely be fulfilled
- Nobody knows the exact date and time. Therefore, we must be ready everyday and everytime.
- The first return of Jesus is the Rapture. He is coming to take the believers home – to the mansions He has prepared for them
- The second return of Jesus is the Millenium. He is coming to rule the earth for 1000 years – to prove to man, that some will still reject His rule.
- Are you ready for His return?
- Is your relationship with Jesus intact?