The Source of Your Strength
Text: Eph 3:14-19
- What is strength? – The quality of being strong physically.
- For example, Samson.
- Samson was strong physically
- Was he strong spiritually? Probably not as strong as he was physically
- Actually, his physical strength was because of the power of God upon his life
- The strength of the believer, your strength, as a child of God is not just physical strength.
- The spiritual strength is actually needed more than the physical strength.
- Eph 3:16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man;
- Inner man – spiritual man
- Understanding the source of your strength helps you to keep that strength.
- The race we are running is not a sprint, it is a marathon
- To run a marathon, endurance is needed
- To endure, much strength is needed
- We will look at 7 things that are the source of your strength.
- Neh 8:10 Then he said unto them, Go your way, eat the fat, and drink the sweet, and send portions unto them for whom nothing is prepared: for this day is holy unto our Lord: neither be ye sorry; for the joy of the LORD is your strength.
- The opposite of joy is sorrow or heavy heart
- When one is in sorrow, such person will lack strength
- Joy is different from happiness…..
- Elijah (1 Kings 19) – Elijah was discouraged to the point of suicide. This was after he defeated the powers of darkness. His joy was stolen
- David (1 Sam 30 – Ziklag) – David and his men were discouraged
- They lost everything that they cherish – their wives, children, and their homes
- They cried until they had no strength to cry anymore
- Joy is a source of our strength – never allow anything to steal your joy
2. Strength of the Lord
- Eph 6:10 Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.
3. Spirit of the Lord – Acts 1:8
- Act 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.
- Peter – before and after the day of Pentecost
- If you are yet to be baptized in the Holy Spirit, you are running the race with your own strength
4. The name of Jesus – Phil 2:9-10
- Php 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: Php 2:10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;
- Act 3:6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.
5. The Blood of Jesus – Rev 12:11
- Rev 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.
6. The Word of God – Heb 4:12
- Heb 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
7. The mercy of God – 2 Cor 4:1
- 2Co 4:1 Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we faint not;
- Rom 9:15 For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
- The difference between Judas Iscariot and Peter is mercy – Lk 22:31-32
- Lam 3:22 It is of the LORD’S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
The source of your strength are:
2. Strength of the Lord
3. Spirit of the Lord
4. The name of Jesus
5. The Blood of Jesus
6. The Word of God
7. The mercy of God
If you refuse to exercise your physical strength – you will become weak physically
If you refuse to exercise your spiritual strength – you will equally become weak spiritually