The Weapons of Our Warfare
Text: 2 Cor. 10:3-5
2Co 10:3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
2Co 10:4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
2Co 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
- We walk (live) in the flesh, but our warfare is not according to the flesh.
- We are a 3-part being – body, soul, and spirit
- Our warfare is neither in the soul
- Our warfare is in the spirit – to war in the spirit, your spirit must be alive, not dead
- You cannot fight a warfare in the spirit using physical weapons
- The weapons of our warfare are not carnal – they are not physical weapons
- The weapons of our warfare are mighty through God
- The purpose of the weapons
- To overthrow strongholds (strong holds) – what are strongholds?
- To cast down imaginations – thoughts in the heart
- To cast down every high thing (proud and lofty things) that sets itself up against the knowledge of God
- To bring every thought into the obedience of Christ
- What are strongholds?
- A place that is fortified so as to protect it from attacks.
- However, these are strongholds of the enemy –
- These are not physical strongholds, but spiritual strongholds
- These are strongholds in the form of bondage – where a man cannot deliver himself
As a Christian, we are engaged in a warfare.
- The purpose of the warfare is to keep every human in bondage and eventually deliver their souls into hell.
- 2Ti 2:4 No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please him who hath chosen him to be a soldier.
- The sooner we realize we are at war, the sooner we will put ourselves in battle array, ready to fight the good fight of faith
- If a man does not know he is at war, he has already lost the battle.
- If a man is worldly and cares more about his life on earth than his life after death, he will lose his life after death.
We are not soldiers without weapons – our weapons are not carnal (physical).
God has made mighty weapons available unto us. Our weapons are:
1. The Word of God
2. The Blood of Jesus
3. The Name of Jesus
The Word of God (both an offensive and defensive weapon)
- The Spoken Word
- The Written Word
- The Living Word
Characteristics of the Word of God
1. The Word of God has a purpose
2. The Word of God is a sharp sword
3. The Word of God cuts through the spirit realm
4. The Word of God heals and delivers
5. The Word of God delivers one from temptation
6. The Word of God is the Gospel – the Good News that save souls
3 Things You Must Do with the Word
1. Hear the Word of God daily – Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
2. Obey the Word of God
3. Speak the Word of God