.Title: Walking In The Light
Text: 1 John 1:5-7
[1Jn 1:5] This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.
[1Jn 1:6] If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
[1Jn 1:7] But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
- There is a huge difference between light and darkness.
- God is light, and the absence of light is darkness
- The absence of God in situations will bring darkness into that situation
- As a result, we must keep God in all matters
- For example,
- We have removed God from schools. Darkness is upon schools, so we have mass school shootings
- We have removed God from marriages, so divorce is skyrocketing and marriage is being abused as an institution between same sex couple.
- So, if God is Light, the believers must walk in the light and be light themselves
1. Because God is Light, you must be light
- What makes you to be light is the characteristics of God that is in you through the Holy Spirit
- God hates sin, therefore, you must hate sin
- God is love, therefore, you must love
2. Because there is no darkness in God, there must not be darkness in you
- Darkness is the absence of light
- If you allow the light of God to shine through you, there will be no darkness in you
- Darkness may not be seen physically upon a man, but you can see it in the acts of man
- For example, pride, backbiting, cursing, fornication, adultery, stealing, murderer, etc, are all works of darkness
- Is. 60:1-3
- [Isa 60:1] Arise, shine; for thy light is come, and the glory of the LORD is risen upon thee.
- [Isa 60:2] For, behold, the darkness shall cover the earth, and gross darkness the people: but the LORD shall arise upon thee, and his glory shall be seen upon thee.
- [Isa 60:3] And the Gentiles shall come to thy light, and kings to the brightness of thy rising.
- The glory of God that is seen upon thee is also the light of God that is seen upon thee.
3. You cannot simultaneously have fellowship with light and darkness
- Anyone who has fellowship with darkness is still in darkness
- 2 Cor. 6:14-15
- [2Co 6:14] Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
- [2Co 6:15] And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
- One may appear to be in the light, but God knows the truth and He sees all things
- There are still a lot of Simon the sorcerers in the body of Christ – Acts 8:9-24
- Matt. 5:14-16
- [Mat 5:14] Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
- [Mat 5:15] Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
- [Mat 5:16] Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
How to walk in the Light
- You must make up your mind to walk with God no matter what
- Without the determination to fully walk with God, there will be areas where believers will act like Achan – [Jos 7:1] But the children of Israel committed a trespass in the accursed thing: for Achan, the son of Carmi, the son of Zabdi, the son of Zerah, of the tribe of Judah, took of the accursed thing: and the anger of the LORD was kindled against the children of Israel.
- The first step to walking in the light is to accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior
- Jesus Christ will then bless you with the Holy Spirit, who will become your Counselor
- By constantly immersing yourself in the Word of God you will learn more about God
- To keep yourself in check, regular fasting must be a part of your lifestyle
- You cannot do without adequate time in the place of prayer – it is through prayer that we have communion with God
- Through obedience to the Word of God and the Holy Spirit, you will be walking in the Light
- Gen 1:1-3
- [Gen 1:1] In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
- [Gen 1:2] And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
- [Gen 1:3] And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
- We were created in the light, we are not creatures of the dark, therefore you must walk in the light
- John 1:4-5
- [Joh 1:4] In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
- [Joh 1:5] And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
- As long as you call yourself a follower of Jesus Christ, His light must shine in you
- The light can only shine in you if you continue to walk in the Light